Hot showers provide a constant relief from stress. However, if you have a large family, your hot water tank may run out of water before you know it. Though installing a larger hot water tank might seem like the only option, but that will cost you more in the long run. Hot water tanks require constant maintenance.
There are other ways, however, that can guarantee that you always have your hot showers and not worry whether there’s hot water in the tank or not. If you’re wondering what we are talking about, we are talking about tankless water heaters.
Tankless water heaters are a better and more convenient choice a large family. They use less space than the conventional water heaters, and according to statistics, they use 30 to 50% less energy than a heater with a tank.
Aside from this, tankless water heaters are more compact and can be mounted to a wall. You can turn on these heaters any time you want. They operate on demand, which means you get to save plenty of money on light bills.
When buying a tankless water heater, make sure to note where you live. Location is an important factor to consider when buying a tankless water heater for your home. This is because some tankless water heaters work better in southern regions than in northern regions.
Are Tankless Heaters Good for Large Families?
If you’re considering buying and installing a tankless heater in your home but can’t decide if it’s the right choice for your family, here are some of the benefits and drawbacks of having one.
- You’ll never run out of hot water again.
- Tankless water heaters are energy efficient, which means you spend less on light bills.
- The wall mounted types are hard to notice.
- Tankless water heaters require yearly maintenance.
- Sometimes installing tankless water heaters can be complicating as you may need electrical, gas and plumbing professionals.
- You may need more units for multiple tasks that require hot water.
The Best Water Heaters for a Large Household
If you have a large family and are looking for some of the best water heaters for a large family, here are some of the best tankless heaters we have rounded up for you.
Stiebel Eltron 239223 Tankless Water Heater
The Stiebel tankless water heater uses 15-20% less energy compared to conventional electrical tank water heaters.
The Stiebel tankless water heater is equipped with exclusive advanced flow control and automatically maintains water temperature for constant comfort.
As a cherry on top, the Stiebel tankless water heater may reduce the flow of hot water if the demand exceeds the capacity, ensuring your hot showers are uninterrupted.
The Stiebel tankless water heater doesn’t store hot water and operates on-demand. That is, you can use it whenever you want, plus, you get to save a lot on light bills.
- It is lightweight.
- It delivers accurate temperature.
- It offers maximum efficiency.
- It has California proposition 65 on it.
Noritz NRC66DVNG Indoor Condensing Direct Tankless Hot Water Heater, 6.6 GPM – Natural Gas
The Noritz NRC66DVNG is a complete condensing unit carrying an advanced heat exchanger system and a built-in controller. It has a maximum flow rate of 6.5 gallons per minute and runs on natural gas.
The Noritz NRC66 DV NG is a plumber’s favourite, and comes with an installation manual, user manual and specification sheet.
- It comes with a remote thermostat and a 6-foot power cord.
- Warranties include: 12 years on heat exchanger, 5 years on parts and 1 year on labour.
- They are more expensive than similar products.
Rinnai Indoor Tankless Hot Water Heater / V94IN / Natural Gas / 9.8 GPM
The Rinnai water heater is a steelmade compact model. It is corrosion resistant and every part of it is replicable so you can easily swap its parts.
The Rinnai V94IN is energy efficient. It’s compact design emits less carbon dioxide, uses less energy and conserves water. Plus, the Rinnai V94IN delivers a whopping 9.8 gallons per minute, making it very suitable for a large family. Though the unit weighs around 46.3 pounds (21.9 kilograms) — which may be heavier than similar models — its compact design ensures it consumes less room space.
Pros of the Rinnai tankless water heater
- Due to its small size, you can install the Rinnai V94IN anywhere.
- It saves up to 40% of energy — less light bills. More value for your money.
- It’s more expensive than other similar products.
Rheem RTEX-18 18kW 240V
The Rheem tankless water heater delivers fast and steady flow of hot water on-demand for single point-of-use or multiple applications. Its sleek brass top offers top durability, which makes the heater easy to replace.
Rheem tankless water heaters are 99.8% energy-efficient, steelmade and have a digital temperature control that allows you to set the temperature in increments of 1°.
- Rheem tankless water heaters are easy to install.
- It comes with an external digital thermostatic control with a led display.
- The heater may be unsuitable for washing machines.
- It has no warranty.
EcoSMART ECO 36 36kW 240V Electric Tankless Water Heater
If you reside in the Northern United States, we recommend the Ecosmart Electric Tankless Water Heater for your family. The water heater comes with a patented self-modulating technology which is ideal for residents in northern parts of the United States, where temperatures can drop to as low as 37 degrees.
The Ecosmart Electric Tankless Water Heater can heat up to 3.5 gallons of water per minute if the water’s initial temperature is low. Also, it can handle up to two showers running simultaneously and never run out of water.
For homes in the Southern U.S., the Ecosmart tankless heater is perfect for Jacuzzi tubs or areas with high demand of hot water. On the side, this tankless water heater can deliver up to 6 gallons per minute, meaning you can run four showers and a sink simultaneously and never run out of water.
- It has the most advanced self-modulating technology
- It saves plenty of heating time because of its fast heating system.
- Smaller parts of the heater can be hazardous to children under 3 years.
EcoSMART ECO 11
If you are living on a shoestring budget but looking for a large, inexpensive tankless water heater then the EcoSmart ECO 11 is the perfect choice for you.
The EcoSmart ECO 11 is a 13-kilowatt tankless water heater suitable for providing hot water for a bathroom, small sink, and other low-flow applications.
The EcoSmart ECO 11 supplies between 1.3 and 3.1 gallons of hot water per minute depending on the inlet water temperature. Integrated into the heater is a digital temperature control that allows you to set the temperature of the heater to whatever degree you wish.
The EcoSmart ECO 11 is also suitable for colder regions and can be linked with other low flow applications.
- It comes with a lifetime warranty
- It saves up to 60% of your light energy
- It has California proposition 65 warning on it.